Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Diversity in America: My Reason for Exploring the Latina/o Community

The Latina/o community is comprised of many diverse subcultures, each with their own customs, traditions, and unique history. One can simply look at certain iconic media sources in order to get a sense of what the Latina/o culture is all about. For example, magazines (such as Low Rider Magazine and Latina Magazine), newspapers (La Opinion), radio (Latino 96.3) and even TV news outlets (Univision, American Latino TV, LA TV). Our community encompasses all realms of American society. We are teachers, business professionals (ALPFA), actors, artists (NALAC), but most importantly we are leaders in our communities (NALEAO). As a new blogger, I will do my best to incorporate my knowledge of the Latina/o community and the issues affecting it. I hope to create a blog that people will regard as both significant and thought provoking. In order to obtain relevant and up to date information, I have used Webby Awards and IMSA Criteria to ensure that my sources are not only viable but also informative. I have spent some time searching for many sources and have listed them on my linkroll to help you, the reader, better navigate my blog. In my blog, I will cover political, cultural, and social issues pertaining to the Latina/o community and of the great relevance to the community at large. I will also attempt to inform you of the similarities and differences that exist within the Latina/o culture. Additionally, I will discuss important topics like public policy, education and immigration reform, and ultimately I hope to maintain a blog that is both entertaining and educational. I am looking forward to this experience and the opportunity to learn from my fellow bloggers. My hope is that you the reader will get to know the Latina/o community through my blog and understand our role in contemporary America, and the impact that we have as a people in American society today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.